Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment

Vol 8, Issue 1,2010
Online ISSN: 1459-0263
Print ISSN: 1459-0255

Morphological and molecular characterization of Saudi wheat genotypes under drought stress


Mohamed Najeb Barakat 1*, Abdullah Abdlulaziz Al-Doss 1, 2, Khaled Ahmed Moustafa 1, 2, Eid Ibrahim Ahmed 2, Adel Ahmed Elshafei 1

Recieved Date: 2009-05-17, Accepted Date: 2009-12-20


The objectives of the present study were to compare the application and utility of random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) and inter-simple sequence repeat (ISSR) marker techniques for analysis of genetic diversity among Saudi wheat genotypes under drought stress, compare genetic diversity estimated using molecular markers with agronomic performance under water stress to establish the degree of association between these techniques and develop drought tolerance-associated DNA markers. Twelve wheat genotypes were used in this study. They were evaluated phenotypically for drought tolerance and were planted under four irrigation treatments over two seasons to expose genotypes to different levels of drought stress during the grain filling period. The UPGMA dendrogram generated from the standardized agronomic data separated the twelve wheat genotypes into three main groups, which diverged at a similarity index of 0.42. The average genetic similarity among the twelve wheat genotypes was 0.50, with value ranging from 0.34 to 0.68. Two types of molecular markers, RAPD and ISSR, were assayed to determine the genetic diversity of 12 wheat genotypes. A high level of polymorphism was found with both RAPD and ISSR markers. In RAPD analyses, a total of 322 fragments were produced by the 30 primers. Of these 322 amplified fragments, 18.63% were not polymorphic; whereas, the remaining bands (81.37%) were polymorphic in one or more in the twelve genotypes. In ISSR analyses, 192 out of 238 bands (80.67%) were polymorphic. The dendrogram based on RAPD markers was not in accord with the dendrogram based on ISSR markers. The combined dendrogram agreed better with the groups of the wheat genotypes based on pedigree analysis than the dendrogram generated by ISSR or RAPD data alone. The correlation coefficient between RAPD and ISSR matrix was highly significant (0.534**, p>0.001). Additionally, both RAPD and ISSR matrices showed significantly positive correlation (r = 0.94**and r = 0.77**, respectively) with RAPD+ISSR matrix. Specific RAPD and ISSR markers were developed successfully to identify drought tolerance genotype (Ksu103 and Ksu105) from drought sensitive genotype (Yecora Rojo). Thus, the markers identified in this study should be applicable for marker–assisted selection for the drought tolerance in wheat breeding programs


Drought tolerance, genetic diversity, ISSR markers, RAPD markers, wheat

Journal: Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment
Year: 2010
Volume: 8
Issue: 1
Category: Agriculture
Pages: 220-228

Full text for Subscribers

Note to users

The requested document is freely available only to subscribers/registered users with an online subscription to the Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment. If you have set up a personal subscription to this title please enter your user name and password. All abstracts are available for free.

Article purchasing

If you like to purchase this specific document such as article, review or this journal issue, contact us. Specify the title of the article or review, issue, number, volume and date of the publication. Software and compilation, Science & Technology, all rights reserved. Your use of this website details or service is governed by terms of use. Authors are invited to check from time to time news or information.

Purchase this Article:   20 Purchase PDF Order Reprints for 15

Share this article :