Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment

Vol 8, Issue 3&4,2010
Online ISSN: 1459-0263
Print ISSN: 1459-0255

Socio-economic analysis of dairy buffalo enterprises in Afyonkarahisar province in Turkey


Aytekin Günlü 1*, Hasan Çiçek 2, Murat Tandoğan 2

Recieved Date: 2010-07-23, Accepted Date: 2010-11-02


This research was carried out in order to evaluate dairy buffalo enterprises’ structural features and economical situations in Afyonkarahisar province in Turkey. Research material was collected by means of questionnaire from 66 enterprises, determined by randomly sampling method in 2005-2006 production periods. Producer’s education levels were determined as 62.12% primary school, 19.70% secondary school and 18.18% high school. Buffalo breeding was the main occupation in 87.88% of enterprises and a secondary profession for the rest with 12.12%. Buffalo cow was bred in 6.06% of the enterprises for 1-10 years, in 15.15% for 11-20 years and in 78.79% for 21 years and more. In different age groups, average animal number was 15.56 and average dairy buffalo number 6.74 in enterprises. Production was made completely intensive in 3% of enterprises. Pasture usage period was 5.06 months. In breeding of buffalo cow, average lactation period was 250.71 days and lactation milk yield 1078.59 kg. Enterprise cost factors were as follows: 42.84% feed; 27.48% labour; 2.98% vets and meds; 9.50% energy; 1.12% foreign capital interest; 3.49% cream pack; 3.24% repair and maintenance and 9.35% amortization. As for enterprise incomes, the results were: 75.78% cream sales revenue; 9.62% milk under cream sales revenue; 5.70% calf revenue and 8.90% inventory value increases. In enterprises, financial rantability rate was -6.08, economical rantability -5.69 and cost/benefit ratio 0.92. The economical evaluation results demonstrated that economical support and encouragement precautions should be applied towards buffalo breeding immediately to sustain the dairy buffalo breeding in the area.


Dairy buffalo, socio-economic analysis, Turkey

Journal: Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment
Year: 2010
Volume: 8
Issue: 3&4
Category: Agriculture
Pages: 689-691

Full text for Subscribers

Note to users

The requested document is freely available only to subscribers/registered users with an online subscription to the Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment. If you have set up a personal subscription to this title please enter your user name and password. All abstracts are available for free.

Article purchasing

If you like to purchase this specific document such as article, review or this journal issue, contact us. Specify the title of the article or review, issue, number, volume and date of the publication. Software and compilation, Science & Technology, all rights reserved. Your use of this website details or service is governed by terms of use. Authors are invited to check from time to time news or information.

Purchase this Article:   20 Purchase PDF Order Reprints for 15

Share this article :