Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment

Vol 1, Issue 3&4,2003
Online ISSN: 1459-0263
Print ISSN: 1459-0255

Adoption rate and continued use of selected arable crop technologies among farmers in Oyo State Nigeria


O. I. Oladele *, A. I. Kareem

Recieved Date: 2003-02-17, Accepted Date: 2003-10-12


Adoption and continued use of any new technology is a dynamic process which will change over time and may be influenced by a wide range of factors such as changes in funding, administration, linkage system and delivery system will reflect in the sustained use of technologies. A multi-stage random sampling process was used to select one hundred and eighty farmers representing ten percent of the farmers. 72.2% were high adopters while the remaining 27.8% were in the low adopter category. For maize and cassava, fertilizer use and fertilizer application have the least adoption rate 75.6% and 30.6% respectively. For cowpea planting distance, storage practices, seed dressing, and spraying and for yam the use of improved varieties, seed/sett dressing had the lowest adoption rate. In the total continued use of the technologies tested about 16 percent have a score 1- 24 and they are regarded as low continued users. 34.3% of the respondents still using 25-36 of the adopted technologies they classified as medium continued user. High continued user are those farmers that are still using 37-48 (49.4%) of the tested technologies.


Farms, production, environment, innovation

Journal: Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment
Year: 2003
Volume: 1
Issue: 3&4
Category: Environment
Pages: 291-294

Full text for Subscribers

Note to users

The requested document is freely available only to subscribers/registered users with an online subscription to the Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment. If you have set up a personal subscription to this title please enter your user name and password. All abstracts are available for free.

Article purchasing

If you like to purchase this specific document such as article, review or this journal issue, contact us. Specify the title of the article or review, issue, number, volume and date of the publication. Software and compilation, Science & Technology, all rights reserved. Your use of this website details or service is governed by terms of use. Authors are invited to check from time to time news or information.

Purchase this Article:   20 Purchase PDF Order Reprints for 15

Share this article :